View Single Post
Old 2024-03-11, 18:02   Link #1214
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I fail to see how this proves Ubel was given an unfair test. The ones that are known to have connections to first-class mages like Ehre and Lawine weren't given an easy pass for the first class exam, so it's not likely that they were given one for second-class given that it's the same group of people in charge.

That's also ignoring the fact that as mages they clearly should be able to control their strength.
Ubel's clone didn't bisect Land, so she clearly could have held back against Burg.

Richter also held back against Kanne and Lawine, and Frieren and Fern hold back all the time.
In what scenario are you thinking of that would prevent them from doing anything?
You seem to be countering with points that I'm not bringing up?

Ubel clearly stated she didn't hold back enough. The test itself is unfair, not her performance. She didn't argue over her disqualification. She states exactly that to Sense.

What I did say is that Ubel's entire cohort was given a purposefully unfair test, designed to make more of them fail with its restrictive rules. Take the emotion out and read my responses, please.

The more recent takeaway from this discussion that I'm asking you to be receptive towards is that Frieren (the series) has exceptionally loose lore. There's huge gaps in the series composition, that are nearly seamlessly backfilled. That's not a bad thing. But it does show that the series was never particularly well-planned from the beginning. Lots of series aren't. What Frieren (the series) is good at is making it seem like it is well-planned, by keeping recently introduced concepts vague, then expanding on them later. There's some very clear contradictions concerning many details of the series' setting.

I'm also not saying anything I'm speculating is true. I'm pointing out that if the series doesn't explicitly state it, it can't be used as rationale in a discussion, because its lore is so open-ended and very frequently backfilled. It doesn't have a consistent magic system. It doesn't even have rules for its magic system. The politics of the world is basically made up as the main party go along. This isn't negative criticism. But don't try to extrapolate beyond what the series verbally states or shows. Because it has changed as the series has gone along.

The criticism I do have is almost entirely restricted to THIS arc and THESE new characters. Because I don't think this arc or the new side characters are as consistent, well composed, and the writing just isn't as good, as everything that proceeded it.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote