View Single Post
Old 2024-03-26, 20:36   Link #1504
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's flat out wrong though, it's 100% Krillin's death that triggered his transformation. I don't know how anyone could read the manga and come to a different conclusion.
Well let's see... Freeza reappears. Goku tells both Krillin and Gohan to get away fast. Freeza kills Krillin, then says Gohan's next. Goku transforms, again tells Gohan to get out, and to bring Piccolo with him since he's hurt but still alive, then stops Freeza from killing them too, and the battle starts. It's not 100% Gohan, never said that (big difference between "I think it's primarily Gohan" and "it's all Gohan period"), but no, I don't think it's as cut-and-dry "you killed my friend" as you say. How much is "I have to stop you" and how much is "I have to hurt you for what you've done" is hard to say, but there's definitely some of both, and I personally felt like there was more of the former than the latter. But then, I've long felt from all the different transformations that desperation is a more frequent and powerful catalyst than simple vengeance. Same thing with Gohan transforming from desperation because he knows what will happen if he doesn't, him transforming again when everyone he loves is nearly killed (and one person gave up his life to tell him he doesn't need to hold back), and even later with Cabba in Super finally snapping when Vegeta declares he's going to wipe out all the Saiyans of his universe. In all cases there's definitely anger involved as well, but there's certainly room to argue that a desperate need plays a big role, and "I have to protect Gohan" fits that part far more than "you killed my friend".
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote