View Single Post
Old 2006-09-29, 22:06   Link #472
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
I hope you aren't being facetious now... To be fair though, have to give you the benefit of the doubt. I guess in some cases good quality ~12KHz could sound better than ringing/flanging ~15/16KHz; but to be honest, I don't think that 96kbps LC-AAC is expecting too much of it (yeah, of course I know it's a codec and not magic, but it is significantly improved over MP3), which brings me to my next question, which HE and LC encoders did you test, also did you try Vorbis? I would have been tempted to drop the audio bitrate a little if I could get away with it, and just ease up to around CRF 20, source permitting.
ya got me! I tried none of them bar AAC-LC, and i only compared the opening song. I'm the oppposite of an audiophile, but I thought it sounded a leedle better in HE format.

Quote:
Encoder paradox! You seem to have grasped the concept that for low bitrate encodes, every little counts (even going as far as using MKV v2 to save those valuable KB's), yet in the VFR thread you rubbished using VFR saying:
*bang!* ya got me twice! *dies and goes to encoder hell to work on 15mb RV clips*. I think my attitude there comes down to not knowing how to use dedup() very well at the time. I didn't use either on this clip actually.
As to the overhead... it would be an interesting test, especially with simpleblock. Actually, i'm not even sure if vfr works with simpleblock. Softsubs don't because the duration field for each frame goes missing. Will investigate and eventually come crawling back in shame or on a large white horse covered in the skulls of my enemies, whereupon I.... well, you get the idea.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote