Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-26, 23:07   Link #198
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

o.. my...

Well... moving from Ireland to the US is a bit of a culture shock... but moving from the US to Japan.... superficially some similarities but it is about as close to moving to an alien civilization as you are probably unable to imagine.

I'd suggest *visiting* there before moving there --- get a 3 month visa and find a ryoko or a host family to stay with ... *live* there, eat where the locals do, shop, etc. Work *very* hard on language ... no matter how good you get, be resigned to being the "dancing bear" -- they're just amazed you can do it at all.

It used to be nearly impossible to find blue-collar work there but with the local population collapsing ( no one having babies ) that attitude may change in a few years.

You'll probably never achieve citizenship but if your company finds you valuable you can probably get a long-term visa extended repeatedly. And that may change in 5 or 10 years as well as the need for tax-paying workers becomes more desperate.

Whatever you do, learn to speak, read, and write Japanese at least at the high school level for your own sanity. Preferably take a few courses in "business japanese" so you won't offend your boss. Study the local customs, religion (Shinto and Buddhism), learn how to behave in a civil manner the japanese are accustomed to (i.e. not the Loud Obnoxious American or European). Anime and manga is a *VERY* small part of the country's culture, many gaijin make that mistake.

Everyone should have goals ... I'd like to spend a few years there myself (teaching or at least regular extended visits).