Thread: Windows Vista?
View Single Post
Old 2007-03-19, 12:30   Link #51
Xeiros

Another in an endless line of "Vista=the next Windows ME" arguments I've seen. I saw this shaping up since the early betas. Vista was always going to be viewed as a failure in the press and consequently by wanna-be Tech and Industry professionals. One of which is what I think we have in this case. The only good thing is that this particular piece of FUD doesn't use the usual suspect of DRM to villianize Vista with.

1.Price. Vista Home Premium OEM = $120 @Newegg. This is the version most home users would be using and as far as OEM, there's no difference except your unable to return it. But that shouldn't be a problem unless your planning on Vista to fail you, like some. As far as having to upgrade, I didn't but either way this shouldn't be calculated into Vista's cost. HW makers are going to make faster products regardless of how long you want MS to sit still. Then pretty soon your sitting there with 4 or 8 gigs of ram, as will be the norm soon, saying why is XP only using 250MB. I bought that ram for a reason.

2.Nothing new. Except, of course, search indexing, instant searching, Superfetch(yes, finally, the ram I paid for gets used), better navigation(with breadcrumb bars and new start menu. Click Start, type 2 or 3 keys and there's the prog I'm looking for. So much quicker than flyouts with all your progs listed.), Bitlocker and EFS, DirectX 10, Live thumbnails(never click on the wrong taskbar item again), and Sidebar(yes, its a feature and its functional not just eye candy) just to name some off the top of my head.

3.UAC only new security feature. Forget Protected-Mode for IE7, Defender, and an updated Firewall. Sure none of these solutions are perfect but isn't it better they run out of the box and better than some users who would run without any.

4.Compatibility issues. As if this didn't happen with XP. In the longest beta program in the history of software, how did your hardware maker get caught out by not having a driver ready in time. Says something about how they value your patronage. You can complain about bloat, with Vista weighting in at over 2.5 GB, but you can't complain about compatibility. Vista is shipping with more drivers than XP did.

5.Confusing. How could something with no marked difference worth upgrading to also be so confusing so as to befuddle some1 of this guys intelligence.

6.All software, especially new software has bugs. Same was true of XP and still is. As far as these particular bugs, maybe the answer is in number 5, he's admittedly confused.