Thread: Licensed Tokyo Mew Mew
View Single Post
Old 2004-02-03, 19:45   Link #39
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I am not really a big fan of this specific show, more of mahou shoujo in general. The show's fans are entitled to be upset, and I know also that people posting here are aware of what happened with Sailor Moon and Card Captors. What I want to say is that there are two different markets for mahou shoujo; one group is a "cult" of anime fans and the other is the alleged segment of young girls who will want to see broadcasts.

I think that trying to get American girls to watch this kind of show is a waste of time; not many of them read manga and so on; the culture is not the same at all. We don't even have all the related toys and stuff to sell to the girls who like the show (not that I care if they do, but it is strong cross-marketing support that is not available). Cutting up the shows for broadcast is inevitable and just demonstrates that the market is just not there.

The "cult" will get what it wants regardless. Fansub groups sub these shows because they have an interest. They create new interest and satisfy the cravings of the old-timers. Regardless of American broadcast versions and so on, the shows are available in some uncut form up to and including release on unedited home media.

This was true in the case of Sailor Moon; it was always possible to get ahold of unedited fansubbed material (prior to the release of "Uncut") because people felt that it consituted an authentically different product from the show as broadcast.

IMO fansub groups should not be generically labelled as "obsolete" now or in the future due to cases like these where even licensing and broadcasting a show does not meet the needs of anime fans.
The problem is that we don't have a right to uncut anime, we have to take whatever they sell in the stores and we dont want fansub groups getting sued by the companies; sure fans can be upset, but the right way to show that is to either by the japanese dvds if you don't need subtitles or to just not buy the anime at all; no where do you have the right to receive what you want how you want it, but you can use your dollar votes and just not buy it, which is what I would recommend. Laws dont care if licensed anime doesn't meet the needs of anime fans, you simply have the option of not buying it.