Cultural References in Lucky Star
View Single Post
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
- When Konata tells the story of how she saved
Tsukasa from an evil foreigner
, the video of her beating up the foreigner shows her using the Tatsumi Senpuu Kyaku (Ryu and Ken's special move) on a
who looks like Street Fighter 2's
Ryu's Japan Stage from the same game. Also the Street Fighter 2 Interface is used for this scene as well.
- The ending theme
sung by Konata
from an old 1976 Metal Hero Series called
Uchū Tetsujin Kyodain
- During the arcade sequence Konata plays a Crane game with
characters as the prize.
- During the arcade sequence Konata plays the Haruhi ending theme Hare Hare Yukai on
Taiko Drum Master
- During the arcade sequence the fighting game Konata is playing is similar to
with Konata's character resembling
and her opponents character slightly resembling
- During the sequence where Konata talks about the Dentist, she says Change Getter with a picture of a dentist in the background. Change Getter is a command that the
pilots shout in order to shift the Getter Robo into different forms. The picture also seems to be meant to invoke an image of
- Following the Shin Getter reference is a parody of the opening to
by Gainax, with the
in the background and the first few bars of the Gunbuster opening
playing in the background.
- In one scene there is a poster with a picture of
- The Train is a common method of travelling in Japan and can often be very cramped and overheated. The train ride highlights and plays the riding of trains in Japan as well as inverts the common problem of perverted men gropin females by instead having Konata lift her shirt while fanning herself and a man turn away in embarassment.
- Japanese High School Students often where lighter clothes in the summer and Kagami was seen changing into her summer uniform.
- Tsukasa's winter uniform that she mistakenly puts on bears a remarkable resemblance to the one's seen in the eroge
and worn by
who Tsukasa resembles aside from the purple hair.
- During one of the sequences characters appear who resemble those from
Cromartie High School
including Takeshi Kamiya (center-bottom) and Shinjiro Hayashida right.
- During another sequence characters who resemble those from
Pani Poni Dash
appear including one who resembles
- One of the games played by Konata and Kagami resembles
with Konata's character resembling
- The game that Konata beats Kagami at is a quiz game. Quiz Games are quite popular in Japan, but if one practices with the same game long enough they can memorize the questions and patterns, and even answer before the question is finished. This is something Konata knows and takes advantage of, but Kagami also knows showing that this is fairly common knowledge in Japanese culture.
- The Ending Theme is
Sorega Ai Deshou
, which is the Opening Theme from
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
- At the party Konata gives Tsukasa an outfit that resembles the one's worn in To Heart and even exclaim's "To Heart".
- Konata mentions she is late because a girl who stole Taiyaki bumped into her on the way to school and dragged her off. This is a reference to
, which of course was a Kyoto Animation Project with Key.
- The Armband Given to Tsukasa resembles the one worn by Suzumiya Haruhi in the popular anime.
- Konata mentions
, which is the premier event for Manga and Doujin writers to hawk their wears to the public and generate publicity and awareness of their projects. It's essentially the E3 of Manga.
- Part of the segment leading up to eyecatch appears to lampoon Japan's troubles with crimes of sexual deviancy that have been coming to the forefront of Japanese culture in recent years.
- Konata makes light of the recent lolicon trend in Japan and how the flat chest has become to be seen as status symbol. This appears to refer specifically to a quote by the character
from Shuffle! who frequently justifies her sexual appeal with the words "A flat chest is a symbol, it has immeasurable value."
- The character Maiyumi Thyme also appears in a poster on Konata's wall, further establishing her apparent high regard for the character from the earlier scene.
- The set on which Konata appears during her imagined interview bears a remarkable resemblance to the
of the American Gameshow
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
- Konata is reading a volume of
Blade of The Immortal
in one scene.
- In one scene Konata watches the
infamous episode of Haruhi where Nagato is sitting reading a book for 3 minutes straight and nothing is happening
. This episode was seen as a budget savour by many and came under some harsh criticism. Konata notes the flame war on
, which is seen as the largest Otaku community in the world, and is noted for its users ability to generate a large number of posts in a very short amount of time over the simplest of subjects that often decay rapidly into flame wars.
- One of Konata's books has the
Kame School of Martial Arts Symbol
on it from Dragon Ball.
- Konata mentions CompMatsuri which appears to be a summer festival for the
. However I can find no information on its actual existence in real life (tentative).
- Konata uses a quote by
Captain Juzo Okita
Space Battleship Yamato
reffering to everything feeling nostalgic.
- Kagami has a
doll in her room from Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu.
- Konata has a fan with the character
from Ane Chanto Shiyou Yo on it. I would provide a link about the game proper, but I can't find one that doesn't link through to H content.
Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-06-04 at
View Public Profile
Visit Kaioshin Sama's homepage!
Find More Posts by Kaioshin Sama