View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 22:24   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelok View Post
Amawa Hibiki-sensei and Kuzuha Fuuko-chan' (I My Me Strawberry Eggs)
Asami Onohara and her physics teacher (Oku-sama wa Joshi Kousei)
Zetsubou-sensei and all of his female students (Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei)
Terada-sensei & Rika-chan (Card Captor Sakura)
Kinomoto Sakura's parents (Card Captor Sakura)
Kokonoe Rin and Aoki-sensei (Kodomo no Jikan)
Onegai Teacher
I noticed you're an old schooler and all, but darling, the rest of us don't think these are very new. It's already 2012 and supposedly we're all about die here.

In any case, the vast majority of teacher-and-student relationship literature in Japanese subculture that is accessible to the West are not in male-oriented otaku works, where it has never really featured and most certainly isn't becoming so any time soon, but rather in shoujo manga. Shoujo manga itself wasn't always about the school setting, but as soon as that became the norm, the theme went from strength to strength. Most of them, naturally, are about an older and handsome male teacher and the young female student.

I...find this older male teacher-younger student relationship theme to be an immediate turnoff. It's my anti-moe, my anti-drug. Just about the only work I like with this kind of relationship is the manga Faster than a Kiss, and I liked it so very grudgingly.

Admittedly, my firm and moral objection to this theme, this truly objectionable theme that offends all proper human responsibilities, is considerably less stringent when it comes to a relationship with a beautiful female teacher. I hope I don't have to justify why.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote