View Single Post
Old 2004-07-20, 14:14   Link #97
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracken33
I donīt know about the rest of the world but here in Germany and probably in many other european countries imho the new anti-american wave started with George W. Bush.
In other parts of the world it probably started ealier (see Mr. Paperīs post).

I think the people here believe that the USA under the Bush administration is not the same as before.
Iīm an old fart (32) and cannot remember that an american president was as much hated as him in this country. This includes his Dad and Ronald Reagan....

No, I donīt hate you. I know that most american people are reasonable and nice persons.
I'm an old fogie too (34) and you're right, no US president has been so disliked and hated. Actually, a lot of Americans did and do love Regan. I know he got a lot of flak overseas and here in America.

To me, Bush reeks of the good-old-boy entitlement attitude. As one comedian put it, "Bush was born on third base, but acts like he hit a triple." He also seems to be very black and white, which is in line with his "high moral" stance. Mr. Bush does seem to believe that he's "above the law", so to speak. Sadly, I was one of the idiots who voted for him, but that won't happen again.

Guantanamo and Abu G. are horrid examples of inhumane behavior, but unfortunately they don't surprise me. There's a fair amount of ignorant hate here (I'm sure there is in other countries, I just don't see it first or second hand). Heck it wasn't all that long ago that two white men chained a black man to the back of a pickup and dragged him until his body fell apart. (I do hope they rot in hell, if there is such a place.) If a couple of idiots do that, imagine the hate and prejudice that is not seen daily. Fuel that with people angered and enraged about the 9/11 attack, and there's sure to be some of the blind haters that end up (or are already) in the military wanting revenge. Some of the haters in high ranks encourage or turn a blind eye and, presto, you have Abu G. Hatred continues the cycle of violence. I've seen the type who casually say "kill 'em all" and seem to mean it, and they sicken me. Sadly I'm not representative of all Americans, but neither are the haters.

It's really sad that some Americans take the "if they're not American, screw 'em" attitude, and it's even more sad that some of them (at least their actions are in line with that attitude) are in power. We'll see if we can change that this election. Not that it'll undo all the damage that's been done to foreign relations. (Please God, let Kerry be better.)

I wonder how many Americans know the sharp difference between patriotism and nationalism. Actually, I wonder how many people world-wide know.

Anyhow, the Canadians are decent neighbors in my book. In fact I really don't have a beef with any nations, really. Of course, it helps to remember that we're all human, with the potential for good and evil and everything inbetween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I am quite curious as to how Canada comes across as not being a "serious country." Even more than that, I'm curious for the justification behind the joke that Canada isn't a 'real' country...

No personal jabs or insults intended, I'm just curious. ^^
I honestly have no idea. I think some people just like picking on others and Canada falls into the others catagory. South Park and the movie Iron Giant take jabs at Canada off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Giant
Yes, but who built it? Communists, Russians, Aliens, (pause) Canadians? I don't know, all I know is that we have to destory it before it destroys us.
I really don't know the story behind the diminuative view of Canada. I was just guessing at motivation from what I've heard others say.

Last edited by Briareos; 2004-07-20 at 14:36. Reason: "I am quite curious" response
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote