Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 09:29   Link #24281
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
My theory is that these guys are incredibly well organized, so much so that they have decided not to touch the mountain of cash they are setting on because they don't want the Obama administration to look good. They know that under a deregulatory environment they stand to make a killing, thus a GOP candidate is just what they are looking for.

Am I too paranoid now to believe such a thing could be happening?
I've held the same view, that the sluggish recovery under Obama reflects in part a "capital strike" in hopes of driving the President from office. Romney's remarks in Boca Raton tend to support this view, though I'd agree one could construct a more sanguine view of his comments.

The elite of American capitalism are quite tightly interconnected though schooling, social ties, interlocking board memberships, and the like. I doubt that top CEOs all sat down together one evening and decided not to make any investments while Obama holds office, but certainly the notion could spread though casual interactions at board meetings, on the golf course, or in a social club. One does not have to be as radical as C. Wright Mills or William Domhoff to see how these institutions have developed over time. Look at the people sitting in that room together in Boca Raton. They have attended these sorts of events with people like them all their lives.