View Single Post
Old 2007-05-09, 16:05   Link #90
kujoe
from head to heel

A lot of people like to call other mecha series as Eva rip-offs nowadays...

If anything, I'd say this series has more in common with the likes of G Gundam (robots representing nations in some tournament), and Shinkon Godannar (pilots come in mostly male/female pairs). I'm also getting vibes of Gunparade March for some reason, probably because of that little girl who plays the hakase role. However, these similarities are just skin-deep at best.

So far, I like what I'm seeing. The visuals are great and engaging, and the mecha designs are interesting as well. My only complaint is that Japan's idol looks way too generic compared to the others. It has a white-blue-red color scheme, a typical humanoid body, and a very lame-looking head. It practically looks like a toy when you place it side by side with the other idols from other nations such as China or Germany. Makes sense though...

I'm also not a fan of the ED. The difference in style is just too clear and obvious, almost jarring in my opinion.

It's been quite a long time since I got interested in a mecha series. Code Geass didn't do it for me, nor did GS and GSD. I'm definitely looking forward to what's going to happen next in this show.