View Single Post
Old 2007-08-31, 12:01   Link #191
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I re-read that explanation by Wilhelmina in vol 9.

While hunting for a certain Crimson Lord, Wilhelmina stumbled upon the legendary "Appointed Couple" Pheles and Johann somewhere in Central Asia, who happen to be on the run from that Crimson Lord (nicknamed "Broken Blade" or something, but I'll call him "Broken Blade" for convenience's sake here).

According to Wilhelmina, "Broken Blade" was well-known amongst the Crimson World circles as a hit-man, and his target this time happens to be Johann and Pheles.

Wihelmina took it upon herself to protect them both, as she realized Broken Blade's clients was aiming for the Reiji Maigo. But in the end, Johann was "critically wounded" after an ambush by Broken Blade.

Just before Johann's body disintegrates, Pheles quickly used some method to stuff Johann into the Mistes Torch inside of him, thus forcefully transferring the Reiji Maigo to a random location (Yuji) away from Broken Blade's grasp.

This is done in order to prevent the Reiji Maigo from falling into Broken Blade's hands once Johann's body disintegrates, as well as prolonging Johann's existence.

To this day, Pheles is still searching for the Reiji Maigo so that she could resurrect her lover.

Normally, Wilhelmina should be assisting Pheles, whom she has befriended, in her quest. However, here comes the twist. Just before the Reiji Maigo got randomly teleported, Broken Blade managed to stuff some sort of mysterious spell inside the Reiji Maigo.

Only Wilhelmina witnessed this (maybe Pheles went unconscious while Broken Blade did that). Wilhelmina must be guessing that this spell was most likely malicious (something like a Trojan horse virus), and if Johann was resurrected, that spell would be triggered, causing widespread havoc to the balance of the two worlds.

Wilhelmina knows Pheles is intent on resurrecting her lover, so persuading her not to is useless. The only choice Wilhelmina has is to get to the Reiji Maigo before Pheles and destroy its host (Yuji) again and again, preventing Pheles from ever reaching the Reiji Maigo, i.e. a perpetual race against time.

Thanks to Shana interfering, Wilhelmina now has to contemplate fighting her friend Pheles.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote