View Single Post
Old 2010-03-01, 05:06   Link #5940
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
To be honest, I don't think there's much more to say. I love Athena, he loves Hina, and there's really nothing wrong with either choice. Both of us knew going into this that our tastes are very different, so things can get sort of heated, but I honestly had a lot of fun. So thanks, Mentar.
Well, I'm glad we were able to keep it civil till the end ... overall I have to say that I did enjoy it. And I'll at least say that as a result of the discussion, I'll try to give Athena a fair shake in the future.

There were a couple of things I realized during the discussion:

1) It's surprisingly easy to lose the emotional detachment during the discussion. I feel a genuine _strong_ empathy for Hina, and it _angers_ me when I feel she's unfairly criticized or not given her due. The same will hold true for others and their respective favorites.

2) This is the real revelation for me: My ethical beliefs are clearly not shared by a large amount of people, to a degree that I did not expect to see. Obviously, genuine and honest selfishness leading to success is preferred to doubt-ridden self-reflected altruism. Even more: Eventually deciding against yourself and for others is seen as a "weakness", a flaw. This is the exact opposite of how I see it, but seen in this light, it makes alot of assessments and opinions on this board much more clear.

A question to those who took the Athena side in this argument and are willing to say: How many of you come from the US?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote