View Single Post
Old 2013-08-25, 23:54   Link #32920
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Also it's troublesome as Natsuhi also surely check working schedule and might want to have a say on them and because Shannon also went to school, which means when she's at school Kanon can't be on the island... which leave an even smaller amount of time to orchestrate things.
I would also think that Kanon started out, like Beatrice and Shannon (after the real Shannon left), as something like a vent for her emotions that was never really so much acted out in front of people (running around in a bed-sheet at night doesn't really count). Still, it's also important to consider that, by the time Kanon was created, Shannon wasn't attending school anymore. She likely finished junior high school and never attended high school, considering that it isn't mandatory education and the servants were likely never meant to enter high status jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I think it's possible that he was created as an imaginary friend then but Yasu only acted him out later on, when she was already the head of the family. He may also only have been "real" at Jessica's school festival.
I think that's at least what the goats were implying when they said, there was never any Kanon and he was simply made up by or for Jessica. Her only way of responding is to say that people saw Kanon at the school festival.
I do hope the manga goes a little bit more indepth concerning what lead the goats to believe that (evidence post-tragedy etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestSpeaker View Post
If Ryu hadn't tried to convince me that it was as loud as a champagne bottle, I would have said that it was just super loud inside the rooms, but through a shut door down a hallway and down some stairs in a thunderstorm was not that immediately recognizable. On the other hand, for an author who researches like Ryu, it is an odd oversight (but not unprecedented, if he can retcon a door...)
It really is a rather odd oversight, though I am not completely sure in how far proximity to a gun fired, proximity to target and all such things influence the sound perceived by the one firing it. On the other hand this could also be Ryukishi's way of telling us "Yasu didn't research shit and was actually quite an amateur at constructing mysteries."
This is sadly one of these elements that we just have to swallow, but, on the other hand, even big writers like Queen, Carr, Van Dine, Sayers, Christie and others made fairly stupid mistakes or bend the laws of nature to fit their stories. My favorite remains the man shot in the chest who still manages to climb up a building, leap over roofs, run into his house and prepare a locked room situation.

Quote:
So even though something bad happened, likely a fight between siblings and even probably a direct death or two, there is almost certainly just an element of tragedy involved. Maybe that is why Eva always felt so guilty, maybe she threw the switch herself.
It would definitely tie into the whole anti-mystery field, most novels from this genre basically advocating the notion that it is the detective, the author, and even the reader who actually create the "murder case" from something that is simply a human tragedy.
Heck, in An Offering to Nothingness both the culprit and the detective figure (both from a group of avid mystery readers) basically break the fourth wall and tell the author that it was not only them but the reader as well who wished for a horrible, complicated and yet beautiful murder-case scenario to occur, while actually it all leads to "Nothingness".

Quote:
Also, while I am not saying that it didn't happen, I am not sure "Kinzo used a business deal to get his son a wife and then never trusted her (after she "killed" a baby that was important to him)" is evidence that he raped his own daughter...
I'd say it doesn't say anything about Kinzo beyond the fact that he acted like a great deal of the Japanese (heck, world-wide) upper-class acted from post-war till today. Using business deals and marriage alongside each other was nothing strange and often these went hand in hand.
Sure, Kinzo was a misogynist, but probably a good 80-90% of all men during those days were misogynistic from today's point of view. Just like Anti-Semitism was en vogue in the 19th and early 20th century, Black jokes were celebrated well past the mid of the 20th century and LGBTQ people are still treated more of as stereotype then actual living beings, of course these are questionable if not horrible things from today's point of view, but people also have to be seen in the context of their environment.
Kinzo was raised as a puppet and got a wife added to him like an accessory, his children being more an obligation he had to fulfill. The only actual friends he seemed to have close to him were a rambunctious noble from Taiwan, with whom he apparently didn't shy away from committing stuff that bordered on criminal, and a money-grabbing doctor with questionable work-ethics. I think Kinzo's psychological profile would turn out to be quite messed up from today's perspective...though maybe not if we look at celebrity news..  
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote