View Single Post
Old 2009-09-10, 04:36   Link #123
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, but my "self" started quite a bit after the last Australopithecus died.
But the physical continuity exists. Even if it is separated by great amount of time. If there was none you simply would not be here as you (and I) would not exist.

Quote:
A lot smaller. I'm positively gigantic, compared to my newborn self. I've also acquired quite a lot of hair. And teeth. And the changes in my mind are even greater.
Yes, but you cannot change your form since physical none of an bodies can. None of wolves can change their form or communicate with humans. That is what i called abnormal and that is what breaks the physical continuity. The changes are just too different.

Quote:
How do you know? Maybe she used to be merely six-feet tall, in between being normal sized and becoming a full fledged goddess.
So according to you normal wolves are six-feet tall and can change their form to humans? Great riddance, but I think many would disagree with that.

Quote:
Abnormal compared to what? To what she used to be when she was a simple wolf, if she ever was? So what? Do you see a lot of 185cm babies?
To other wolves. There can be tall and high humans but no-one of them can change their shape and body mass at their will in an instant.

Quote:
So she's picked up a few abilities. Nice for her. Myself, I acquired the ability to walk, talk, and a host of others. Like arguing on the internet in English. You don't see a lot of babies able to do that.
Many people can learn that in natural process of learning or growing up. But none can do something that human body is not capable off - like living without oxygen

Quote:
What makes a body and mind different? As I said, I'm vastly different to what I used to be as a baby. And yet, I used to be a baby. One self, different bodies and minds.
Your body is the same. It just experienced natural changes that all humans do experience (less some interruptions happen). You keep the continuity.

Quote:
We do not know how the change happened, or even if there was one. If one wolf died, and a full fledged wolf goddess appeared ex nihilo next to the corpse, your argument has merit. Would we even say Horo used to be a normal wolf, then? If on the contrary, a wolf grew and grew over the years, gaining a mind the way a baby becomes self-aware and grows into an intelligent adult, only gaining the ability to transform once there was a firm sense of self that allows us, to this day, to affirm that Horo is both the young maiden and the giant wolf, then there's your continuity.
Thats what I am telling you. She has to be wolf-god from the beginning if she gained those abilities through growing up (because normal wolves do not posses those abilities). Then the continuity would exist, yet if a normal wolf is changed the whole mind and body structure is changed radically thus the being that came into be is not the wolf that was before. The being is so radically different that it has no continuity at all. Thats where the problem lies.

You can say but Australopithecus could do some things that I cannot, and I can do something that Australopithecus could not. But those things either can be taught and learned or comes in a natural way of evolution (like physical changes), which do not radically destroy the chain of continuity.

The change that wolf-god experiences is too radical in both mind and body that wolf cannot learn through normal way of evolution or learning.

It is not like a stone statue made from stone. If it was you could say the form changed but the material (stone) remains and posses the same qualities still (thus sucesion remains).

Here you can only talk about a stone statue made from wax. And it makes no sense because wax do not posses the qualities of stone thus you cannot make from it a STONE statue.