View Single Post
Old 2007-09-09, 14:10   Link #443
Mirificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Spoiler for Concerning Zest:
The fact though is that it didn't work and it tied up Signum from helping with the other two objectives. If they anticipated that Signum couldn't stop him, then they shouldn't have sent her there. If the plan was to actually stop Zest, then they could have committed more resources to the defense.

Quote:
Thoughts like that are what can cost a battle. Threats need to be halted as soon as they are visible, why give them the chance to get close?
One can never have enough forces at the decisive point. No force should be detached from the main body unless is definite and urgent. The numbers are neither.

If you really want to deal with the numbers, then the Aces could have been dropped off instead of the forwards and beat them faster, the forwards would still be fresh and victory there would be all but guaranteed. The Aces are the greatest concentration of mobility and firepower in RF6. Why not take advantage of that?

Quote:
My apolagies, I've read everything for the last week or so, but anythig before that might have gotten a tad hazy. However, from what I recall reading, you were also complaining about spreading forces equally. This point I would like to adress as well, because I don't agree.

If we categorize by threats, then forces are spread according to threat level. Not equally.

The Cradle is the most obvious threat, and has two out of three Aces assigned to it plus one if the Wolkenritter.
Only a single mage is actually working to disable the Cradle. That's rather threadbare at best.

Quote:
Scagliethi's lab is an unknown factor, and one of the Aces was dispatched to aid the comrades that were in trouble there (both of which aren't exactly wusses themselves).
Again, that took a great deal of time because of the lack of overmatching strength and it has left Fate exhausted. Time is the last resource that RF6 can afford to lose.

Quote:
The enemies going for HQ are at the moment the lowest priority threat, but still need to be dealt with. Signum guarded the skies, while the forwards dealt with the sentoukijin.
Signum tried to guard the skies but she didn't accomplish anything.

Quote:
From a tactical point of view, I fail to see the errors.
I don't really understand. They've violated pretty much every single tactical principle: mass, maneuver, economy of force, security, surprise, unity of command and simplicity.

You honestly don't think having a third body inside the Cradle would have helped? Someone to watch Vita's back perhaps?

You don't think that trying to secure everywhere is a tactical error? Particularly when those areas are not even being secured adequately and tying up critical resources anyways?

You don't think a complete lack of credible, timely reserves is a tactical error?

You don't think that abandoning the Aces superior mobility when it could be used to achieve tactical surprise and concentration is a tactical error?

Just how badly does RF6 need to screw up for it to be considered to have committed a tactical error?