View Single Post
Old 2007-09-10, 17:48   Link #96
brolycjw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
How does this comment have anything to do with the animation in the '90s? Please try to say on-topic: if you want to complain about the Cosmic Era shows, you should at least stick to complaining about the choreography. Save the complaining about character and mecha designs for a different thread.
Who was the one got me started on the technology of animation anyway?

Quote:
Isn't that what I just said, that nuclear weapons are very effective in the strategic sense, but there may be better choices for certain tactical applications?
I don't recall utterly destroying the Earth or a colony as being strategic. Tell me a strategic application of it other than deterrence and scaring the crap out of everybody when a rogue country decides to build a nuclear weapon.

Quote:
Having lots of characters die isn't necessarily more realistic than having few characters die. And to be honest, this should be subordinate to storytelling anyways, so it isn't really all that important.
It is a portrayal of war and showing how evil it is. Tomino's gundam has always been showing the cruelties of war, and not glorifying it.

Quote:
Immature and retarded? I don't think so. Kira had seen plenty of combat before he started doing that, so it's obvious that he was well aware of the risks. He simply chose to disable enemies where he could despite them.
Choosing not to kill the enemy shows that he has no desire to win the war, killing the enemy troops is necessary as they can always repair the disabled suits and put the recovered troops back in them. If Bright were the captain, he would certainly sack Amuro as a pilot if he was disabling the enemy suits instead of destroying them outright. Speaking about that, Bright mentioned that if he had to destroy an enemy's colony to end a war, he would do it, that would save more innocent lives.

Quote:
If you want to talk about characters being "immature and retarded", then the poster boy for that label is the one who didn't feel that he was being appreciated enough, so he pouted by taking off with his Gundam. If any later character is accused of being "immature and retarded", then it's clear that they're just influenced by the original !
Of course he was immature at the start, but he started to become mature after Ryu's death, and that's where character development comes in. This applies to Camille, Judau and especially Uso. Apparently Kira did not show any character development, other than choosing to be with Lacus after Fllay's death. Oh, and you just made another example of poor plagiarism.

Quote:
A pilot's performance correlates directly a mobile suit's performance in combat, and is hence on-topic. The rest of a pilot's character isn't; and would be considered off-topic.
So I can say that a pilot's character can affect his fighting style, disabling or killing, therefore affecting combat as well? That's rubbish, when a pilot is limited by mobile suit specs, his performance would be severely hindered. There is no correlation at all.
brolycjw is offline   Reply With Quote