View Single Post
Old 2010-03-12, 15:09   Link #13
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPerson View Post
I'm not clear what you are saying here. Paucity of calculation power, experience, creativity or understanding shouldn't matter. If a power user applies a power to their frame of reference, it must be applied equally to all frames. There is no pick an choose. Could you clarify
Well, take Accelerator, for instance. Accelerator's power is supposedly 'vector control.' If his power actually is to alter vectors on an absolute scale, and it was applied to an object simultaneously all the way down to the quantum scale and all the way up to the universal scale, then if he told a bullet moving toward him, relative to his own frame of reference, to then move away from him, the bullet would disintegrate, transform into either a super-fluid quark plasma or some form of pure energy, and shoot off away from him at some complex transformation of the expansion speed of the universe. Frame of reference must be a trait that can be defined selectively for some of these powers to function as advertised.
Quote:
True, but I'm just pointing out that understanding the concept of personalized reality might not be the key at all.
Possible, but i would personally say that this seems rather unlikely in the context of this story.
Quote:
Most likely just direct increase in kinetic vibration energy. Microwaves or anything else would involve a secondary power which isn't suggested anywhere. Most likely it applies equally to all molecules and not just water; that would requiring picking and choosing.
Picking and choosing, or rather 'inherent limitation,' seems to be an important aspect of many powers in this story.
Quote:
And to the "no, it's not..." thing, well, he'd have to live with the fact that I pointed out one more consistency! (and then he'd not care about it, which makes me sad.)
Heh, at least the author is enthusiastic about his particular brand of broken pseudo-science. Most of them in the shounen genre seem to just make up and change the 'story rules' whenever they feel like it...
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote