View Single Post
Old 2006-12-21, 08:17   Link #103
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Niji

Glad to hear it's working! Yes, I'd think that having -dropframes enabled would be a good idea on your PowerBook... I have it enabled on mine, and I'm using an AlBook 1.33, as H.264 can be a terrible beast for me at times. Regardless - good to know it's working properly. I'm considering doing a new build in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably build from rc1 source, as it's stable. I've got a build already around on my laptop, but it's compiled with X11 support, and I know a few people here don't like that - although I'm not sure, as compiling with X11 enabled has sped up H.264 playback for me by approximately 20%... though that could just be a benefit of rc1 over a nightly build. From what I read below, it appears that rc1 might not have ASS/SSA support built in (due to fontconfig, perhaps)... so perhaps a 'custom' build of rc1 would be useful.

@ Solecs

It's odd that the rc1 version of Mplayer isn't able to support softsubbed files for you - I downloaded and compiled rc1 myself (as mentioned above) before there was an official release, and it supports softsubbed files just fine - granted though, I compiled it with my version of fontconfig, so it might be that is your problem.

Try downloading the rc1 source (it's available from the official Mplayer site) and compile it using the same configure script that thr suggested earlier in the thread. This should create an rc1 version of Mplayer with support for your installed version of fontconfig - which should work fine afterwards. If all else fails, try downloading thr's actual version of Mplayer posted in this thread, as it is compatible with SSA/ASS softsubbed files, to the best of my knowledge.

@ Pringer_z

That's a bit odd, as I was fairly sure that thr's build was working fine on Intel Macs... anyway, pop on over to the official Mplayer site - http://www.mplayerhq.hu/ - and download their latest Mplayer compile, of rc1, and see if you have any luck with that. Solec did mention above, however, that there appears to be issues with it displaying proper softsubbed files... in which case, assuming that both the official and thr's builds don't work, the only way that you can easily get Mplayer working is to compile it yourself. The dev tools are free (they should have been included on your install disk for your Macbook, have a hunt around for 'Optional Packages' on the disk) and the compile process as listed by thr isn't too difficult.

If you do decide to try this though, see if you have the Xcode installer, and then post again here if you need clarification on how to proceed. If you don't have Xcode, you can get it free from Apple (@ developer.apple.com) but it's around 1GB in size to download.

Otherwise... I might be able to gain access to a MacBook Pro in the next week or so, if I can I shall *try* to compile Mplayer, but if it doesn't have Xcode installed, and doesn't have a system disk (depends what's left at the school and what isn't) I might be unable to do so. But I'll try.

Oh, and you might want to download the new (0.8.6) version of VLC as .mkv support has improved drastically, and they're using the new version of ffmpeg too, which means it has the nice wmv3/speedup benefits that Mplayer has as well. Still relatively poor subtitle support, but at least your files may be watchable until a better solution (compile, etc) is availble.

-Andiyar