Thread: Defrag: A myth?
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-12, 10:08   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
See I use 2 drives on my gaming pc: a 74gig WD Raptor for game installs and o/s and your ordinary run of the mill 160gig seagate barracuda for other apps/files. the raptor is blisteringly fast, it's designed to be. But cleaning my registry has a more tangible effect than defrag particularly in boot sequences.
Not surprising. As Greymoon mentioned, fast drives with a large cache will cut the performance loss from fragmentation. For those who don't know, the Raptor is a 10,000 RPM hard drive. Standard hard drives are 7200 RPM; before that, they were 5400 RPM (which seems to be the new standard in laptops now). Laptops used to be in the 4000's. The difference is massively noticable, and if you're using a very slow drive, fragmentation only makes it worse. It means that your drive has to spend more time searching for the fragments. With an extremely fast drive, this added time is barely anything. With a very slow drive, you'll notice it, especially if you're trying to multitask. Case in point, on my old laptop, during heavy multitasking I used to get a performance boost with my 4000 RPM HD by stopping any music I was listening to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu
How long will it take to defrag a harddrive 5months old? with every day torrent downloading and deleting..? This is a seagate 40gb NTFS? this is also a system hard drive?
Thanks in advance.
hobbes_fan said that it depends on your processor, but I'm going to challenge that. Unless you're using an extremely old processor, I've never seen defragging to be a processor-intensive process. Logically, it isn't either, because it's just a matter of the drive shuffling data around. In that case, it depends on how fast your hard drive is (seek speeds/read speeds/write speeds, which are impacted by the RPM and cache size). The less fragmented data that there is to shuffle around, the faster the process will be.

On the subject of defragging, the new solid state hard drives will not need to be defragged - supposedly they experience no performance loss during fragmentation. It makes sense, since there's no physical seeking going on.