View Single Post
Old 2013-01-01, 16:12   Link #14
Akka

I have a rather conflicted point of view on this serie. Basically, I love the first ten episodes, I hate the last two.

The first part has been incredibly refreshing and simply hilarious. It's been the proof for me that slapstick comedy can be incredibly funny when it's well done. More importantly, it's FINALLY be an anime that did away with the annoying anime clichés that tend to ruin most production : no passive protagonist, no lame men being used for punching bags by sadistic girls, no painfully dragged-on false romance leads that are obviously red herring, etc.
The incredible freshness of this show is that is do away with these tired repetitive and infuriating conventions, throw them out and just let the fun come and go on a rampage.

I had an immensely pleasant time seeing FINALLY a male lead that actually doesn't let people step on his toes, don't let himself be abused, actually ACT AND REACT rather than be a victime, and I had an equally delicious catharsis seeing him smacking the idiots when they are idiots, which is something I have just dreamed to do in so many anime serie for years.
I samely felt a huge relief seeing finally teenagers acting more naturally about romance - actually THINKING about it when it's right in their face, actually taking the hints, actually trying to act on it, and the like.

I can't praise this show enough for shaking off so many predictable annoying clichés.

Among all this fun, was also a rather touching story, the one of a girl suffering and retreating into her imaginary world to heal herself. A bit of drama, lots of fun, it was really great.

But then, the drama took the show over, and basically it all went crashing down.
It's not even that I disagree with all the message the anime tried to convey - I'm myself a HUGE escapist, I can totally relate -, but the way it was handled and the package that was offered were simply not convincing.
There was a huge disconnect between what we can logically conclude from the show, and what the show actually tried to conclude. The moral attempts to be something like "we need to be true to ourselves, and our dreams and imagination helps us to do that" (which is something I totally agree with), but the problem is that what was actually protrayed in the show amounted more to a completely broken celebration of mental illness and irresponsibility.
As such, both the drama and the ending felt directly pulled out of the ass of the writer.

Too bad about the finish, because most of the show was VERY enjoyable. But it left me with a bad taste, and as such it's being dragged down to a 7.