View Single Post
Old 2010-04-25, 17:49   Link #9213
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Which grandmother? I may have read it wrong, but I assumed he meant Asumu's mother (his "maternal" grandmother), not Kinzo's wife. Either way, she's probably been dead long enough that her presence is unlikely in life or death. And the mere fact she doesn't even have a name or portrait yet seems telling as to her importance (then again, Asumu...).

Regardless, the behavior of Kinzo's wife is perfectly explicable: She believed he was cheating on her and sneaking off somewhere. Whether he was cheating or not, he was sneaking off somewhere, so she was right. Maybe she eventually found out and the issue wasn't what she thought it was, so she became complicit in trying to prevent others from finding out. Or maybe she just went a little crazy with suspicion.
No it's Kinzo's wife, but actually reading again it is possible that Battler was reporting what they told him she said and not what he himself heard.

Battler does say in one instance that his grandmother is since long time deceased. But "long time" could be 10 years, it's hard to tell. Anyway she didn't die recently.
Now that I remember, however, she was still alive in 1967 because Rosa said she had an argument with her.

Quote:
Rudolf: Which means, ...maybe, about 20 years ago?

Rosa: Back then, my grades weren't very good, and Mother was always angry at me. ......I had tried to do my best in my own way, but I couldn't respond to Mother's expectations at all...

Krauss: ......Mother was always very strict with Rosa. I sympathized with her at the time.
And here I just notice that there's something that doesn't match

This is from EP5, when Natsuhi tells how the baby died:

Quote:
My husband had been on a business trip. Rosa-san, who had still lived on the island at the time, had been traveling with her friends.
......Father and I were the only ones on Rokkenjima!!
What the hell?!

Look I guess you could still say that Kinzo's wife died between the time Beatrice and the baby did. But I find this extremely improbable. If that was the case I think the siblings should have mentioned the fact that their own mother died around the time Rosa had that little adventure, and in that case Rosa should be able to remember the exact date.

No, I think it's more probable that Kinzo's wife was still alive, and Natsuhi just forgot to mention her for some reasons.

Quote:
Actually, consider this instead. You're on a deserted island and your husband still manages to cheat on you. And you're pretty sure there's no reliable evidence you could present, while the accusation itself sounds patently absurd. Deserted island, you're practically alone there, come on.

I expect that after a brief period of admitting that you think he does, you would shut up and accept any other story that would let you explain the events as something else, including the one he uses.
Personally, I think the probabilities that Kinzo's wife didn't know about Kuwadorian are almost 0, which means she had no real problems explaining how Kinzo was cheating on her.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote