View Single Post
Old 2011-09-07, 16:03   Link #125
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I think there will only be one other Okabe when he arrives a second time. Remember, he went back physically with Suzuha's time machine (as evidenced with him still having Kurisu's blood on his lab coat), as opposed to all the other time traveling he's done so far, where he only transfered his memories into an already existing body in an alternate timeline. So, I think his very existence in that specific time period will be erased by the time he redoes his trip again, leaving only Past Okabe and an alive Kurisu.
I don't think that works. Okabe meets Suzuha at some point in August at which point he travels physically back to July 28th and accidentally stabs Kurisu then returns to August. He then gets a d-mail from his future self which tells him to go back again and fool his past self. Now he's going to leave from a time that's ~15 minutes later and will arrive at the same time (July 28th shortly before noon). That time period already has 2 other Okabes. So we have Okabe 1 who was attending the conference and needs to see Kurisu lying in a pool of blood. We have Okabe 2 who arrived from August who needs to "stab" Kurisu, and we have Okabe 3 who is from ~15 minutes after the time Okabe 2 came from who needs to find a way to make sure Okabe 2 and Okabe 1 see the correct things while also not letting Kurisu die.

@wxyz

Do we know that there is no world line switch? I was thinking that the failed first attempt was only necessary to create enough despair in Okabe to cause him to figure out how he needs to get into Steins;Gate. Once he goes through that he discovers how to enter Steins Gate and sends the d-mail to his past self. Now at this point I think that the Okabe from 15 years in the future feels his reading steiner activate after sending the d-mail as that d-mail causes him to (presumably) jump from the WWIII timeline to the steins gate timeline. The reason for the trickery is to ensure that the d-mail gets sent. Once that d-mail is sent all bets are off.