View Single Post
Old 2012-06-25, 15:44   Link #978
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I felt the creators were striving for a story about people, in which case, the small scale of the 'adventure' was justified. Specifically, Book 1 (I forget which element it was. Air?), is really the story of Korra and Amon. They are the two most heavily featured characters (even when Amon is physically absent, his presence is felt throughout the series) and they are given the most definition. There struggle, however ill-defined and partially meaningless at times (there is definitely wasted potential in Amon being a bender. While the idea behind bloodbending was justifiable, the fact that Amon was a bender really weakened his entire story.), was the central focus of the series.

Consequently, since we have a more limited scope, the intimate nature of the characters rose to prominence, and the ideology of what was being fought over became important (one of the flaws of the first series was the lack of ambiguity for the Fire Nations actions; they were simply evil (or at least the leaders were) for no real reason other than they could be).
That's actually the biggest of the reason why I thought it was no good just being small scale. It didn't seem to me that the ideologies of what they were fighting for were confined to just Republic city and that's exactly what the characters in the show thought as well (and not just after the United Nations Forces came into the picture), so it seemed to me like the entire story was leading to something on a much larger scale.

Quote:
I did not mind the idea of the romance, rather I found the execution to be very poor and not very well thought out. Mako and Bolin started out as interesting characters. I was very interested in hearing about their years living on the streets, how/where they lived, what they did, who trained them, and what kind of men they could become. But, besides their introductory episodes, they remained nebulous throughout the series, and, especially in Mako's case, ultimately uninteresting.
Yeah this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
While the scope of "Korra" was much narrower, I actually found the first series to be much more "about people" and Korra much more about premise. The characters in A:TLA were much more interesting and relatable for me, and the ones in Korra basically came off as plot drivers more than people.
and definitely this...

Last edited by Haak; 2012-06-26 at 07:12.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote