View Single Post
Old 2010-02-17, 15:49   Link #6
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
That's a pretty pathetic excuse. And what the heck does he mean by "HD quality graphics"? As far as I know, HD is only a burden on the console and the disk capacity. I wouldn't think having more pixels on the screen adds significantly to development time, and making excuses like that is just irresponsible.
I don't want to drag this thread off-topic again, but the time it takes to develop HD-quality art, models, textures, backgrounds, animation, and lighting/effects is significantly more than old SD material. The expectation of quality is much higher, and it requires a lot more attention to detail. As a result, the average size of development teams working on HD console projects is much higher than it would be for a previous-generation or portable game. The cost is significantly higher. To justify that expense, they would have to be sure that the remake would sell well enough to justify all the expense of basically re-developing the game. Given that the game is still playable on the PS3 (now it's in the Playstation Store), I don't think they believed that there would be as many people interested in buying it again as there would be people interested in purchasing newer games. But the more dated FFVII starts to look, the more likely it'll be for that opinion to change.