Thread: "Study" Music
View Single Post
Old 2008-03-01, 18:08   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakult View Post
While studying, I can't seem to study in a dreadfully silent room. My mind starts to get filled with thoughts... so I turn on some music in order to have some ambient sound.

However, songs with lyrics also tend to grab my attention away from my reading. I have had an experience where I studied in a room full of fish tanks (odd... isn't it?) and it seemed to be the perfect sound to study in. No voices of people to distract me, and it seemed to work.
We could hope your mind is filled with the thoughts of what you're studying

I can study in complete silence but I prefer some sort of ambient noise/music. One of my favorite places to study in college was in a basement study area near the air conditioning equipment -- semi-random thrum drowned out any distraction, much like your fish tanks.
My favorites are ambient music in general, "new age", or classical (especially chamber music Mozart period). I can study to certain kinds of rock music - but it has to be lyrical (e.g. Jethro Tull) and it still doesn't really work as well. I get slightly better results with j-ska or soft j-pop since its easier to treat the lyrics as just another musical instrument, but still not as good as ambient/newage/classical.

Really, despite what students claim - most research shows music with lyrics, areas with people chatting, or television blaring produces less valuable study results. Television in particular is a negative for studying to because it is often projecting anxiety-ridden situations which the brain is wired to process at a higher priority.

So it isn't really a matter of what music or noise you may like best... but which provides the best study results (---> better grades).