Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-03, 13:03   Link #151
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

The problem I have with hot corners is that they interfere with my particular workflow. I use a trackball and I'm used to "flicking" the pointer to the corners for window management. In Windows 8 that often brings up the charms bar when I am using the trackball to minimize/maximize/close a window. It's the same sort of effect you get with the "Aero peek" feature in Windows 7, but at least you can turn that off. That's what irks me about 8, these features are fine but you should be able to disable them if you want, especially if you are only interested in using desktop mode.

I think the whole Metro approach is a failure for large screens/multiple screens. It makes sense on a small touch device like a phone, and possibly a tablet, but not a desktop computer. WIMP has worked for the desktop for over two decades now. Microsoft learned the hard way that trying to cram the desktop paradigm down to a phone doesn't work (hence Windows CE/Windows Mobile failed). Now they are trying to go the other way, they found something that works on a phone and are trying to cram it up into the desktop.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote