View Single Post
Old 2013-04-15, 03:33   Link #76
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(I know this does tie back to your point at the end about finding entrepreneurs who consider it worth the risk. But I still felt that somehow you were underselling the extent of the problem as I perceive it anyway. The media market is totally saturated with content as it is; cutting through, even with exceptional content, is hard.)
In the case of video games, they became a lot more like interactive movies. Games today are no longer the abstract stuff nerds used to enjoy in the privacy of their basements. They became a lot closer to what "regular Joes" do in their spare time. At the same time, there was also the increasing popularity of "one-stop" consoles that took away the arcane complexities of building expensive rigs just to play a game.

By removing such barriers of entry, in terms of content and hardware, gaming became mainstream, and with it came all the attendant pros and cons.

So, I suggest, remove the "otaku" complexities* from anime with which you want to reach a broader range of audience. At the same time, look into the ideal means of distributing the media, be it via streaming or pay-per-view download, or whatever other means of delivery.

*EDIT:
By the way, before anyone screams blue murder over this suggestion ("You see! That's what I warned you about going mainstream! No one's going to rob me of my moe anime! That's NEVAR going to happen. NEVARRR!!!"), I ask you to consider what I've suggested as "mainstream" content that would appeal to a broad range of adults, the likes of Usagi Drop, Hataraki Man or even Seirei no Moribito. I consider them mainstream, and none of them relied on cutesy anime tropes to be effective stories. I'm not asking for producers to stop making moe anime. I'm asking for creators to start targeting a wider audience with stories that have broader adult appeal.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2013-04-15 at 04:04.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote