View Single Post
Old 2006-07-04, 17:47   Link #1295
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
relentlessflame, thanks for defending my remark, but I must say there was no need for me to get defensive. I merely stated that there was a misinterpretation of my translation. It was ApathyEcstasy that went into an outburst upon you trying to jump to my supposed defence. But still thanks for helping.

ApathyEcstasy, if my remarks had upset you to make such an unprovoked rebuttal, then I apologize, and forgive you for your unintentional outburst. (Watching the second half plus extra time of the Germany vs Italy match helped me cool down as well. )

Anyway, I do know what sarcasm is and having read 6 volumes, I'm pretty sure a "literature amateur" like me can tell where Kyon intends to have sarcasm. So in this aspect, IMHO, I believe Kyon wasn't interested in his sister.
i wasn't saying that kyon was being sarcastic..i was saying that the line may eventually turn out to be highly ironic by the end of the novel (if we were to find out that mikuru is actually his sister from the future...then his whole statement about not wanting to see his sister on video but that if it was mikuru, then it would be fine..would be highly ironic)...and the very idea that the line might turn out to be highly ironic is what makes me think that the author will USE this line in order for people who think between the lines, to suspect something that hasn't been spelled out conclusively yet (even if most people read it through without paying much attention to it) a little incoherent there but i hope you get what i mean

edit: also, the reason i think that the author used this line as a remote-controlled mine that'll later by detonated near the end of his series of novels is because published authors have the tendency to do things like this...say something earlier on in the novel that one would read without giving much thought to...and then at the end reveal that the line has much more significance or contains much more irony that one would realize when first reaching that line
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote