Thread: Licensed Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-18, 22:41   Link #971
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
...Besides Madoka, the last series (chronologically) that I really, truly cared about was The Daughter of Twenty Faces. That show was put out two years ago.... Why the obsession with this daily-life cute-comedy, romance and wish-fulfillment harems? Why can't I get strong female characters who aren't sexually objectified in one manner or another? Male characters who aren't loser-wimps?

If it's not moe dramedy--which, I might add, I do not hate, as I quite enjoyed Clannad--it's Naruto or Shana clones. Or it's a harem show where every girl has a serious craving for the loser-guy protagonist. Does nothing else make money? Should I just go back to reading books and screw all moving-picture media?
I kind of agree with this, except that I don't mind as much, since I enjoy this stuff, too. It's great to see someone mention Daughter of Twenty-Faces, since I enjoyed that show. It had its faults, but I liked it. And it was three years ago, lol.

I think popular literature of all kinds, written and visual, drama and anime, is rooted in wish fulfillment, so we're never going to get away from that. It's more a matter of whose wishes are being fulfilled. Maybe it has to do with who the producers are, and maybe with who makes up the bulk of the current anime audience, and maybe with the expense of making grander shows (e.g., Sunrise space opera) that can succeed.

Shiki was not that horrifying, and did not have the kind of heroine you might prefer, but I thought it was good. And there's a new Blood series show coming this summer.

As for going back to reading books, I'm doing some of that myself. There is a wider range of good stories there. But I still like this show and Steins;Gate, among others this season. (It's hard to say whether it's the guy or one of the girls there that has the harem, lol.) I do think Denpa is one show whose protagonist is not a "loser-wimp." Not a traditional active "hero," either, though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to another episode of Denpa Onna tomorrow. How will Erio change? Will grandma be "cattle-mutilated?" Will space-suit girl show up? Is it really Maekawa-san's father who is unemployed and setting off bottle-rockets? Why was Meme depressed?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote