View Single Post
Old 2012-10-16, 16:10   Link #424
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The father assumes she's going to die in her sleep. Everyone does. Because that's simply the most likely outcome. So he wants to get his future son-in-law officially into the family as soon as possible, before it's too late. And there's never been any doubt that Sugou would be the son-in-law; I assume the arranged marriage was being talked about well before the accident.
I think that's an interesting perspective. I didn't get the impression that anyone was thinking she was going to die in her sleep necessarily; after all, it's her father's company (and Nobuyuki's division) that's keeping them alive. But it's true that they don't know when she'll wake up, so the father seemed to be understanding if Nobuyuki didn't want to wait for her and wanted to find someone else. I do also agree that the plans for the arranged marriage were made long ago (though it may have been something their families discussed without bringing it up with Asuna, since he made it clear that she wouldn't have supported if they asked her). Nobuyuki is like family to them, so I don't think the father has any reason at all to think that his request is out of the ordinary (and he may even appreciate someone of Nobuyuki's stature agreeing to join his family despite his daughter's "present condition", as distasteful as I find that to say). I also think it's quite possible that the father may have had an arranged marriage himself, so it may not have occurred to them that his daughter wouldn't want to follow her role and marry for status and preserving the family name (that she may want to marry for "love", like the uncultured kids these days... ).

Basically, I think the whole concept of arranged marriages seems strange to a lot of people, but it's still something that exists (even in this "era", amazingly...). Obviously that itself is being setup as a "villain" in this plot because it's being put up against "true love" and, as we all know, love is going to win in the end.