View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 03:54   Link #125
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Last I checked Japan had plenty of cops with guns and riot gear. So I don't think Urobuchi is making a criticism about that.

As other people have mentioned. At it's core, the world of Psycho-Pass is an authoritarian state.
As for what the creator of this anime is critisizing in the japanese society .... well, i think its pretty obvious. Japanese people are and always have been a herd of sheep. They obey commands, they are loyal to their superiors/companies/bosses without questioning any of their decisions....

and on a side note, have you noticed how many animes keep popping up with the same theme? I mean every season we get at least one anime, with a dystopian controlling society. It would seem that this is a big subject in japan either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
This is significant because the system isn't that old. Guys like Masaoka were already veteran police officers when they implemented the system. So where'd this army of head busting cops go?
You got a point there!!! But what strikes me as even more odd is where did all the criminals go. At the beginning of the series I had to really supress my feeling of disbelieve, when they explained how the whole psycho pass system works, because if they really locked up anybody, who has aggressive tendencies and/or entertains socially unacceptable ideas, who would left out there?

I say the crushing majority of people are deep down animals, but luckily for the society, most of us have this savage side under control. However, the scanners look past the outward appearance and measure directly whats going on inside your mind. Hence, I wonder, how come the majority of people manged to turn from potential criminals to meek, mellow, no-bad-thoughts-having sheep?

Of course if the sybil system was in place for centuries, you could argue, that humans became this meak through decades of selective breeding. All the individuals with violent tendencies were taken out of circulation and only unproblematic people were allowed to reproduce.... but thats not the case here, is it?