View Single Post
Old 2008-05-26, 10:12   Link #288
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Maybe I should explain myself a little more so as to show why I don't really think the ctrl key is a solution. Certainly there is the case were the sex scenes are just tossed in a work in order to cater a certain market segment, as it has been the case with nasu's works and some of key's early games, however there is another fundamental problem apart from this one. From my POV, it'd seem both like the game producers are looking down on its audience and that they look down on their own game by thinking it won't sell well without ero scenes. LB was already more or less an all-ages game. It was because the game sales didn't meet their expectations that KEY chose the easy way out by tossing in some ero scenes (it is still up to the air whether they will be well woven into the story, however given KEY past work they will have to polish up their skills) to catter to the otaku ero lovers and to boost up their sales. *NOT* that this is a bad thing per se (a company is out there to make money, and if a certain strategy does the trick then why not?) but from an artistic point of view this is deplorable, and from a personal POV I feel insulted and disillusioned.

So what was the trick with CLANNAD? That both the implied sex was already there, and as such an integral and beautifully woven part of the story, and that it wasn't used either as a market device for boosting the sales, but as a plot element. it was thought from the start as part of the story, not as an afterthought. If it is a device that could easily be added into the story without it having any further repercussions on the overall plot its because it's something completely unnecessary from the POV of the work flow.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote