Thread: Licensed Sankarea (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 13:39   Link #273
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
There's something going on here, and I think it's complicated. But I'm not convinced that the in-show angle (that is: the father's character angle) is one of sexualisation. When I heard about the nude pics in episode one, I did not imagine the kind of picture I've seen in episode two. They were, if anything, downplaying the sexual aspect - going for aesthetics. It sort of changed my point of view from straightforward sexually driven child abuse to something more like excessive pride in... his "creation". Like a confluence of making a child and making art. And confusing love with pride in the beauty you feel responsible for creating. And utter jealousy, not wanting to share.
Well said. I got the same feeling watching it. What he's doing is obviously wrong and horribly abusive, but it didn't come across to me as being strictly sexual in nature. It's over-protection taken to an extreme degree, and as you point out, he seems to feel a perverse sense of pride in his "accomplishment." (Which is of course ironic, seeing as how his fatherly hand has likely contributed nothing but harm to her development as a person.) I don't think they were being tasteless with the pictures, they evoked a sense of beauty, not sexuality. At least that's how it came across to me. There are plenty of anime out there that sexualize children to an unhealthy degree, this didn't strike me as one of them. That isn't to say people can't take the concept and run with it, as I'm sure some will, but the show itself doesn't feel unwholesome to me.

Just an aside, I'm really liking Ranko. Great personality, beautiful and with perfect curves. My kind of woman.