Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-05-08, 09:52   Link #2517
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Out of curiosity, do they still persecute people who hold those jobs today? Or just if their ancestors did those jobs? Basically, is it just an irrational caste thing tied to heritage or is it a general disgust with those professions that gets connected to an irrational caste thing?
By persecute, the extreme extent (so I'd like to think) would be big companies doing the usual background ethnicity checks and rejecting them because of their ancestary.
To a degree I guess, those with burakumin ancestary still live in relative exclusion or have to be careful of what they say and to who.

As for present issues, I think those who do those jobs now wouldn't be persuecuted or shunned openly like before but they'd be in the countryside somewhere making their living in relative peace anyways.
However if they wanted to come to Tokyo to work for a profilic company and it was found that they used to do 'such and such' undesirable job, then prejudice may affect them from progressing.
It wouldn't be the 'we're higher than you social class wise' but more 'you did this kind of job that falls under burakumin category, thanks but no thanks.'

That's my assumption may I add based on how current attitudes fare around here, by no means is it law and if you can, look into it some where and check it out

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia