View Single Post
Old 2012-11-27, 08:15   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Seijisensei's suggestion of the Ideapad is really great. You won't get much better at the price, hardware-wise. It's just going to run everything you throw at it pretty well, and, seeing a youtube video of it at work, the screen is gorgeous with great viewing angles for what I think is a TN panel screen (no idea, really, Lenovo doesn't say so, but an IPS should have added a considerable price tag to it).

The tradeoff is that, going by the stats and online reviews, it's big, it's a bit heavy, it's unsexy, and its battery isn't going to last a whole day especially if you're gaming. It's a computer machine first, fashion statement or portable workstation second. But I get the feeling you don't care about any of that.

It's also got your brother's suggestion for the "i7," i.e. Intel's higher end processors. More importantly, it has a useful discrete graphics card, absolutely necessary for games.

Do-it-yourself laptops are a pain in the butt. I wouldn't suggest it unless you really know what you're doing.

Or you can get a more powerful DYI desktop if you can, as papermario suggests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689
Most times you can put everything you need into a mid-tower case, which won't really take up that much space.
Going by Anandtech, Micro is the new Mid. Those smaller cases used to be so much rarer, more expensive, and stupidly hot. Not so these days.

I'm still more comfortable with a Mid though.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote