Thread: Licensed Sukitte Ii na yo
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-31, 11:24   Link #150
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

This just isn't really my cup of tea. I hate sappy — or more accurately in this case, catty — teenage melodramas with a passion, and Sukkitte ii na yo represents just about everything I loathe about such stories. A portrayal of a thoroughly shallow and cavalier approach to relationships that I would vigorously advise any person, young or old, to avoid in real life. And to make matters worse, it's contrasted with an overly idealised couple that could only exist in reel life, hence ironically worsening the teenage fantasies that perpetuate the portrayed problems in reality. But that's just me and my personal preferences talking. From a technical and professional perspective, on the other hand, I can well understand why this series works. Very well, I might add.

So, a rather odd pick for me this season: a show I would rather not touch with a ten-foot pole, but which I watch in any case for what it can teach me about how this genre operates. A shame that it doesn't attract the attention I think it deserves.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-10-31 at 11:37.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote