View Single Post
Old 2009-11-08, 19:00   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There *is* the "one poster hijacks entire thread" phenom where one person feels compelled to answer every single post to the point where their posts dominate the page. Hell, I've even been guilty of that though lately I've been trying hard to stand back and not repeat what others have already said.

But that's just going to happen and I figure that is what the mods signed up to mitigate.

Debate as a formal exercise means that you can argue persuasively for either "side" and that you take the time to support your assertions with data. If one side can provide fewer facts or is unable to address challenges, then they *should* concede the argument and adjust to what they've learned. Realistically, though many just seem to run away or get violent.
Not every debate has a "right opinion" and a "wrong opinion". In fact, most debates here on Anime Suki don't, Vexx.

Consider recent debates over tsunderes, yuri, slice of life, and retro vs. modern anime (I've taken part in all of these debates) on Anime Suki's General Anime subforum.

What's the "right opinion" that dissenters ought to "concede" to here?

I didn't see either side of any of the debates completely "knock it out of the ballpark" so to speak.

Actually, one of the things that I'd like to see more of in Anime Suki is more people simply accepting disagreements; having more agrees to disagrees.