View Single Post
Old 2008-05-27, 21:41   Link #1
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

Unexplainable, Paranormal, Ghost

Over Memorial Day, I was visiting my parents and happen to be watching Ghost Hunter on Discovery. My dad commented that "it bad luck to disturb the ghosts slumber." I rebuttal by saying "there is no such things as ghosts, it all make believe". Then my dad starting going on describing how they were real and that as a child back in VN actually saw one that made him froze. My aunt was over as well and caught wind of our discussion and sided with my dad, saying that she as a child was visited by a ghost. I finally gave in after 45 minutes of banter without getting my point across. It seems all the adult in my family that came from VN believes in spirits and the paranormal. I called my sister in Taiwan and she tells me as a child she also felt something was watching her, she never saw a ghost, but knew as a child that something was there.

I got a bit curious and called my youngest uncle who basically grew up in the US and asked him. He told me he does believe that there is spirits holy and malicious. It part of Eastern culture. I asked him if he ever felt a spirit or seem and he said he never notice if there was or not.

I been thinking about this all morning and I started digging online.

Christianity has spirits that give raise to prophets like Moses, and tells of a dark spirit name Satan.

Quote:
"Emanuel Swedenborg, the famous seer of the eighteenth century, was well acquainted with the spirit world, having experienced detailed visions recorded later in book form. Nevertheless, he cautioned those courting the spirits: "When spirits begin to speak with a man, he ought to beware that he believes nothing whatever from them; for they say almost anything. Things are fabricated by them, and they lie... they would tell so many lies and indeed with solemn affirmation that a man would be astonished...if a man listens and believes they press on, and deceive, and seduce." (Samuel M. Warren, A Compendium of the Theological Writings of Emmanuel Swedenborg (New York: Swedenborg Foundation, 1977, p. 618. As quoted in Douglas Groothuis, Revealing the New Age Jesus, p. 210.)
In my culture (Buddhism), that I don't practice, their is the believe that our deceased ancestor return to visit us each year, which is why we prepare a feast, for their return.

In Judaism, communication with the dead is unacceptable. God has provided us a prophet.

I could list out more, but it seems to me every culture has a ghost story behind it. Some culture embrace their ghost/spirit, some fear it and shun even the slightest hint of ghost. All culture/religion has the same characteristic. All ghost/spirits are the decease ancestor or of a person that has passed. All visiting ghosts/spirits linger or return because of unfinished business. All ghost/spirits can either make improve in one's life or bring ruin down upon the visited. I think you may see my point.

I misnamed the title of this thread and I apologize, I feel i should not limited this to just the discussion of spirits. It was along this line that i began to think what about unexplainable things as well. As a child I remember being scared of the dark when I was alone because, I could hear the creaking of the floor. When I think about it now I still wonder, old house creaks right? What causes them to creak if you are not moving?

There are other things i thought about as well such as deja vu. There has been times when I swear that I know everything that was going to happen at that moment, It nothing major that would change my life, but it the feeling that I experienced this before and i know in the back of my mind the outcome. My opinion and you may laugh. We can agree that there may be more than one dimension and it may be possible that other diminsional beings are doing or attempting communication with us. and we are transported at least consciously into a time stream. Or it might be other factors. Such as high voltage lines creating a mini-time pocket which transport us back into the past. Or maybe send us into the future. Who knows, and who can argue, it not impossible, just improbable at our current state.

Do you believe in the supernatural? Could you explain why you do or do not believe and I prefer if you would support your reasoning. I like an intelligent discussion of these events.

As for me, I don't believe in spirits/ghosts. I'm a logical person, I need fact and proof to back and support ghosts. I have never seen one, there has been no proof of a ghost, merely unexplainable events, that may have been fabricated for attention such as the Lockness Monster, or bigfoot. There are unexpalinable event that we just don't have the tools or knowledge to comprehend as we currently are. There are no such things as paranormal, merely things we have no answers for. In the past when people didn't understand something they called it sorcery, we just call it supernatural.
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote