View Single Post
Old 2008-10-25, 15:09   Link #95
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparker View Post
Every time I watch an episode of this show, I think "meh", then I come here and read the comments and sort of wonder. What is it about this show that makes so many people rate it above average, when it only really stands out for the art and occasional new twist on an old situation? The characters are somewhat unique, though still expansions/variations on stock personalities (except Taiga, who is a pure-blood, two-note tsundere).

One clue I got from reading translation notes on a subbers blog: There are more than the usual Japanese cultural references (specifically not anime references like were in Lucky Star), which means that much of the humor is missed by a non-Japanese person. Usually, if you have to read a reference to get the meaning of a joke, it's too late. Or as in, since I don't read Japanese, I can't be expected to get the shout out to Clannad. Anime references cross cultural boundaries easily, since they are recognizable to fans everywhere, and make a show more accessible. I see Toradora! as a real challenge to localize if it is licensed elsewhere, because the situational and gag comedy doesn't carry it alone.

I watch the show, I occasionally smile or even chuckle, never LOL, and the next day I don't remember it unless I really think about it (as opposed to Kannagi, for instance). I guess bottom line, I hate to criticize at this point since so many people like it, but I just don't feel the level of awesomeness that exudes from this forum. Or... maybe the attraction is the teen romance/angst part, which I'm probably getting too old to appreciate anyway after about 50 of those series.
Ah well interests do fade some time. I was once an addict of MMORPGs and Strategy gaming, but now, I have taken an interest in something else, anime.

Maybe you should switch to another anime, there are so many out there if this doesn't suit your taste. I watched ef - tales of memories for 2-3 eps and gave up, the storyline is so boring.