View Single Post
Old 2013-02-01, 20:23   Link #49
Ultramarinus
Disputatio exaro nex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think you're overstating this a bit. A couple points...

1. "We've been at peace for too long". The Director is right in this regard. It's not hard for me to see how a lengthy period of peace, stretching over several decades, could lead to a somewhat complacent civilian government and a skeleton police/military defense force. My impression is that organized crime, as we know it, hasn't existed in the world of Sybil for a long time. I mean, I'm certainly seeing nothing like the Yakuza in this show. Even with Makishima manipulating things from the shadows, its typically just a lone crazy here and then a lone crazy there. If that's all your dealing with for decades on end, then all you really need is a small police force. And that means that, after awhile, the government is going to be tempted to slash spending on the police department in order to spend more money on more pressing concerns.

2. In a world where psychological health is a big deal, people will tend to shy away from professions where their psychological health could be severely threatened. The professions that I could see this hurting: Politician, Psychiatrist, Police Officer, Soldier. Again, it's not hard for me to see how this could lead to a skeleton police/military force.

Even Makshima admitted that the Sibyl system (and here I include the human side of it) is not as controlling as the government that Orwell envisioned in 1984. To a certain degree, the Sibyl system is based on people looking after their own psychological health and hence ensuring that they're not likely to become criminals. And in this vein, the Sibyl system worked for a long time. Until now.
It had been stated that the city's slums lack proper scanning equipment so you could gather a gang there over time, enough to wreck havoc before the ministry figures out something is going on. In fact, this is probably what happened when they were distributing those masks, there weren't any scanners around IIRC. The police is aware that their coverage is a patchwork and they know of an underground organization that's further vandalizing scanners systematically. So even if Makishima wasn't around, they have been at a low-intensity war. They should have prepared better than "we have a gigantic skyscraper dedicated to this system but we have 36 only EMP grenades and batons" non-sense. It's not like they have a low budget, they're operating a system that's probably running on a quantum supercomputer with an army of droids. Surely they could keep some spare emergency equipment.

Until the last two episodes, I had been assuming that they were a small task force of a proper police department but then they showed 18 people when they called 'everyone on leave' as well. They couldn't even fill a quarter of that conference room! Oh boy..

Demolition Man meets Die Hard 3. A friend told me he was expecting Bruce Willis to pop out from somewhere.

Well, at the very least I'm enjoying the fact that IG Production is still good at this stuff, gives me hope for GitS Arise.