View Single Post
Old 2010-05-14, 17:51   Link #2446
MFSxA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Who died and made you the sole authority on what Christianity is? It's not like persecution can't be justified biblically, either. They're "saving souls". Or something like that.
Jesus and the apostles, including Paul taught to persecute non-christians? Scriptural basis please. Taught to persecute to save souls or something like that? Scriptural basis please.

That's weird, I don't think even in the Old Testament, the Jews attacked the gentiles to save their souls. Joshua invaded Canaan and put his enemies to the sword to claim the promised land, I can't recall if he ever did it to save the gentile souls. Nor do I recall such during David's reign, or Solomon's, or any other King for that matter. Even the judges who fought for and defended Israel did not fight to save the gentiles' souls. They either conquered to gain the promised land or defended themselves from those who would take the promised land. Add to that the chastisement of God against Israel for disobeying him by letting Israel be conquered or subjugated by foreign powers.

The saving of Gentile souls as a message began after the resurrection (Well you could include the visions of old prophets, where all nations bowed to God). So therefore, where after the resurrection of Jesus Christ was it taught to persecute non-Christians in order to save gentile souls in scripture?

I have not encountered a teaching in the scripture of the New Testament wherein God (Jesus Christ) or even his apostles, much more Paul authorizing, directing, or abetting persecution of non-christians.

But may be I am wrong, so cite your scriptural basis and supporting annotations of scholars on the matter.
So I said in my heart, "As it happens to the fool, It also happens to me, And why was I then more wise?" Then I said in my heart, "This also is vanity." For there is no more remembrance of the wise than of the fool forever, Since all that now is will be forgotten in the days to come. And how does a wise man die? As the fool!

Ecclesiastes 2:15-16, NKJV
MFSxA is offline   Reply With Quote