View Single Post
Old 2012-06-24, 22:39   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Satoshi is the most interesting character in the cast for me, and that continues to be the case. There’s a subtext in so much of what he says – something hiding behind his cheerful self-deprecation. Perhaps it’s a little bit of anger, some pride, and certainly defiance and a strong sense of self. It was certainly plain in his conversation with Houtarou this time, where he proclaims his lack of any special skill in any area and declares that Mayaka would be a better Sherlockian than he in three months, if she wanted. For himself, Satoshi says, he’s nothing but a traveler good for “nothing more than a stamp on the pamphlet.”

Now, I don’t believe that, Houtarou doesn’t believe it either and most importantly I don’t think Satoshi believes it either. When Hotarou says “I don’t agree with that stuff you’re saying about yourself” (which is an interesting character moment in itself) Satoshi’s answer is quite intriguing – “There are things that interest me more than being a Sherlockian.” He pairs this with a rare drop of the smiling veneer of genki that he always surrounds himself with – just for a minute – when he confesses to a little jealousy of Houtarou. We see the world through Houtarou’s eyes in this series, and hear his thoughts – and Mayaka and Chitanda are fairly transparent personalities – but Satoshi is different. There’s always a sense that we’re just seeing the tip of the iceberg with him, and that makes him the one to keep an eye on.