View Single Post
Old 2006-08-05, 13:04   Link #123
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
I just finished a fantasy set in feudal Japan (although they never exactly call it Japan). It is called "Across the Nightingale Floor", and in terms of readability, has an excellent and unusual sentence a second style and is always told matter-of-factly without much ornamentation or extreme eloquence. This technique fails in certain places when things happen so quickly I almost have to re-read the paragraph because I can't believe what is going on.

It's the first part of a trilogy, following the rise of a boy who's village is pillaged and burnt to the ground. Barely surviving, he is swept away to the intrique and unusual world and customs of the clans as he is taken in by a Lord with revenge on his mind. However, Takeo, the main character, soon discovers that his heritage isn't all that it seems and that he possesses unique talents.

I think anyone from Animesuki would enjoy this read as it plays out much like an anime (with the urgency of a 13 episode series as well). My only warning is that it's fairly tragic in many respects. The heavy, saddening moments far outnumber happiness that Takeo recieves, so this is definitly not one to read when feeling a bit down or depressed.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote