View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 20:28   Link #6
Traece
:cool:

I see two major reasons for this:

The first thing is that society is overbearing and critical of children and their hobbies, and liking things like Pokemon cards and other such "nerdy" devices is and was considered to be "nerdy" and caused you to be a social outcast. In order for something to be socially acceptable, people have to outwardly enjoy them. When you're a kid, you feel like you shouldn't do these things because they're frowned upon. When you grow up, you stop caring about what society thinks about what you do with your own money and in your own home. When you get older and you become a well-defined individual you no longer have to hold yourself to the standards of others to the extremes that children often do to fit in.

The second thing is social media and the internet. Everything has scaled up. There are more conventions, more tournaments, and more everything for things that were once considered to be nerdy. People have the ability to go on forums, and talk on Facebook, and interact with each other in their hobbies over the internet. When there are millions of other people who enjoy the same things that you enjoy, it stops being an issue that some people think badly about your hobbies.

As far as myself, I can be pretty critical when I really want to be. A lot of cartoons (especially those made by Tartakovsky and Faust, for specific examples) are actually very well made. They have all of the elements you expect in a Hollywood movie but sometimes do a better job of portraying them. Heck, Kids Next Door actually had a romance aspect to it that was pretty nicely done considering its medium and audience. I suspect a little bit of this enjoyment also comes from the fact that a lot of adults watched cartoons as a children, and society really doesn't provide us with any reason why we can't enjoy them as adults. Especially as long as animated movies from studios like Pixar are going to come out and be held to the same standards as every other kind of movie.