View Single Post
Old 2012-08-16, 11:34   Link #267
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post

He was technically "exiled" at the end of ep 2. Before that he's just a normal solo player.
After ep 2, we see no effect regarding his "exile"/"beater" status, since he had zero problems joining up with the Black Cats, Silica, and join in the meeting with the frontline!
The lack of show, don't tell is apparent:
"I'm a solo player" -> parties with Klein
"I'm a solo player" -> joins a guild
"I'm a solo player" -> parties with Silica
"I'm a solo player" -> parties with Asuna
(Trust me, he really is a solo player!)
His soloing is nearly all off-screen.
Surely almost all solo players are self-exiled loners or rather self-imposed exile. I think there's too much emphasis being placed on the exiled thing (and I'm guilty of it too I suppose ). I can't really speak for relentlessflame but my posts have taken that to mean the soloer aspect of Kirito.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous with the examples there.

We've been shown throughout the series so far that Kirito is not averse to joining up with others in order to help people out or when it serves his interests (such as clearing the boss floors). In the first episode where he "parties" with Klein, he's stood out in a field showing him the basics after he's been specifically asked for help. This essentially sets the precedent for things to come. This guy has asked for help and Kirito is not refusing it

The guild... well this is assumption as we don't get inside his head as to reasons he's joined up. My assumption is that he's either wanting to try out what the experience is like for himself. From what they talk about at the start of the episode, it sounds like he helped them out of a tight situation and that leads them to ask him for some more help... I guess his defensiveness is sufficiently broken down in that situation (although not entirely--with the whole hiding his level thing) to do it. It's a bit flimsy. I will give you this one.

We also see him go for the special boss solo, even after Klein's group follows him and offers to help Kirito. He simply refuses that help. Obviously events transpire in such a way that he manages to slip away and square up with the boss. You could say he's doing it almost as a form of self-punishment by trying to right his own wrongdoing (I caused this so I should fix this). Still it's another example of him going solo and we are shown it, if not the whole encounter.

Silica - he uses her as bait to capture those guys, after he's heard the story from the defeated guild leader. We see the solo aspect here as well. He's gone after these guys on his own out of his own sense of justice and fairness, but obviously he needs Silica to draw them out. So I do think it's disingenous to basically say "he's partying with Silica - solo player lol" when the reason he's doing it is because he's going solo in the first place to help that guild leader out.

Asuna - they essentially party up to carry out this investigation together. She does approach him rather forcefully to say that he will be helping her, and as per previous precedent we've been shown that Kirito is not averse to helping people out. I suppose you could also argue that he's also trying to figure out how the PK was done, because as we see he strongly believes in the game's fairness and want to show that it still is fair.

In most of the cases here - they almost always approach Kirito first and he doesn't deny these people his help.

Last edited by arkon; 2012-08-16 at 11:53.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote