View Single Post
Old 2006-11-03, 01:41   Link #31
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I watched the two episodes back to back this morning and it was so good that I was in a sour mood for the rest of the day <_<;

From the two episodes, it looks like the writers know what they are doing. I'm looking forward to the next 11 episodes. Let's see if they can make their ending as good as their opening.

Now if only the opening music weren't so cheesy... >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I still don't know why we need old-fashioned military uniforms and school buildings in shows set in the future, but whatever.
I guess I wasn't the only one who nearly fell out of his chair when the horse and carriage showed up. XD

Now, a bit about terminology... the pilots of the Strains are called リーズナー. Any guesses on the etymology of that term? Could it refer to some famous Riesner in history? Or is it a mangled version of "Leader"?

A lot of the terminology from Simoun had classical roots, so I was wondering where the writers got their terminology from. From a brief skimming, it feels Germanic.

Other terminology:

ユニオン - Union: "The good guys"; possibly a union of planetary governments; Stresses quality over quantity
ディーグ - Deague: According to the website, it's an imperial government. Perhaps a degenerated form of teikoku? Stresses quantity over quality
トゥモール - Tumor: Tactical Unmanned Maneuver ORb, Unmanned attack vehicles/machines, used by the Deague
ストレイン - Strain: STRategic Armored Infantry
ウィーレック - Werec(shown in ep1): Sara and Ralph's last name.
ギャンビー - Gambee: General Axis Motorized Battle Exoskeleton Equipment
ミミック - Mimic: Ministerial Instrument of Mercurion Interface Core (wow... where do they come up with this stuff -.-)
グロワール - ???: The type of Strain the Deague employs
フリッサー - ???: The type of Strain used by the Union

EDIT: Interesting... someone on 2ch says that the character names are based on Frances Hodgson Burnett's works...

EDIT2: Here are the names I've pulled from the 2ch post:

From - A Little Princess:

Sara
Ralph (He is Sara's father in this book, a captain of the British army who passes away)
Emily (Emily is Sara's doll)
Becky
Lottie
Lavinia
Ermengarde
Dufarge
Carrisford
Carmichael
Barrow
Melchisedec
Jessie
Isobel ( the show has it as Isabella)
Mariette

From The Secret Garden:
Mary
Colin
Dickon
Martha
Medlock
Craven

Last edited by zalas; 2006-11-03 at 14:41. Reason: Updated spelling for Sara and Werec