View Single Post
Old 2007-11-08, 09:46   Link #243
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae
Honestly,the sniping scene wasn't really outrageous.With the size of the scope and the gun, it really isn't a problem.The Nasa use small telescope to track the shuttle, the images are impressive.So it's certainly not impossible 300 years in the future.
The problem isn't in the ability to hit targets at long ranges - it's that, out-of-universe, the creators won't use such a technology to its logical conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae
I don't want to know what they were smoking when they imagined that.That's probably one of the most ridiculous scene ever seen in a gundam show.
It's likely that the creators were thinking something along the lines of "uh, oops... you know, it looks like there's nothing for our main character to do in the whole episode". As for ridiculousness, it's up there, but I can recall worse stuff in Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack and Victory (not to mention G Gundam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
I was actually thinking that scene indicated that the clouds, being a fairly dense collection of water particles relative to the overall atmosphere, would scatter the laser beam. Not a problem at close ranges, but when you're firing at something in orbit, you really can't afford to disperse your energy blasts at all.
That's unlikely. It's not a laser beam, and the attenuation you'd get firing through dozens of kilometers of atmosphere would far exceed that of a few clouds. Moreover, it doesn't match the dialogue.

I'm sort of unclear as to what people are finding so objectionable about Louise, sure she isn't the greatest character, but she serves to lighten the tone. And that's exactly what the show needs to avoid falling into the trap of being overly serious.