View Single Post
Old 2009-07-11, 08:25   Link #8717
Sol Falling

wut, so now it's Suzaku's birthday too. lol 'k whatever, happy belated birthday Suzaku (six and a half hours late in my time zone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Suzaku was batshit crazy to begin with. All of his shonen-hero tendencies seem to stem from the ridiculous deathwish he developed as a result of killing his own father.

If he had never killed Prime Minister Kururugi, Suzaku would have had his head on a lot straighter. Probably would have not put on the blinders to Britannia's evil, and likely would have been fighting along with Kallen in the resistance.
I disagree. Suzaku had his head on straight enough. It wasn't so much killing his father that doomed him to a life of self-punishment, it was the loss of Euphie.

Also, it's pretty much a given that ending a war sooner = less people dead. I don't see how it's possible that Suzaku killing his father could have left Japan weaker from a post-war standpoint. Even if we don't get into the whole 'three superpowers slaughtering each other for scraps of Japan' scenario, which would have destroyed Japan's citizenry, Genbu's early death certainly left more of Japan's military in tact. That means more remnants to go underground, and a stronger post-war resistance.

Lemme ask something I still haven't really straightened out, though. What exactly was it about the aftermath of Genbu's death that Suzaku regretted? What actually made him feel he was wrong? Was it simply the reality of having killed someone with his own hands? I really don't think that was it, 'cause it simply does not make sense from all sorts of perspectives. Rather, I think the trigger for Suzaku's feelings of guilt was from the act of having broken the 'rules' of obeying his father and the root of those feelings of guilt was in him somehow failing to save the lives of innocent people. After all, during the hoteljack incident, Suzaku's 'crazy' reaction was "it's happening again..." So what I'm really trying to figure out here is: how did Suzaku's killing of his father lead to innocent deaths, moreso than would have occurred if he hadn't killed him? Japan's loss was a foregone conclusion, so why would he regret hastening its surrender?
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote