View Single Post
Old 2008-05-05, 18:13   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
...because that's exactly what's going to happen!
If I may get a punishment for posting an unmarked spoiler, but posting something, that isn't a spoiler inside a spoiler tag, doesn't get any negative reactions, then the logical conclusion would be to simply use the Spoiler-tags always, because then you would never get banned.
...If you see someone doing this on a continual basis, please report it. It is true that the over-use of spoiler tags is part of the problem too, and one that we hope this policy will help resolve in time. By making it more obvious what is a spoiler, it becomes more obvious what is not. It'll take time to get everyone re-calibrated, though, so please be patient. Do point out any flagrant abuse, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You and I are both in agreement in thinking that that everyone in that thread is advancing to it after having seen the previous two series, but is that a fair assumption to make? Would a moderator unfamiliar with the series or Gundam universe be able to make that same judgement? That leads to the second point: why would it be OK to discuss the previous two series, but not their side stories? (I presume this refers to Astray and the Stargazer OVA, but I haven't viewed those for myself.) It just feels like there's too much ambiguity there. It doesn't help that a lot of people make horribly vague topics.
If there's ambiguity, let's come up with an agreement and post it in the first post of the thread so that there's no misunderstanding. I'm all for straightening out ambiguity and getting things in writing so that everyone knows exactly what to expect. While there will always be a certain degree of judgement involved, my personal philosophy is: no surprises. That goes both for users and moderators alike -- if the rules are clear, people less familiar with the series are less likely to make a mistake, and if they do make a mistake, it's more likely to be rectified. These whole idea of reducing ambiguity is the whole reason why I (and many of the other mods) have been working on developing this policy. In the end, it should make all of our lives easier, but let's continue to work on eliminating the ambiguities that remain.

I can say that, if it's possible, mods generally try to avoid handing out spoiler-related infractions for series they're not familiar with. I've seen many a reported post from other moderators saying "I think this may be a spoiler, but could someone who's familiar with the series check?" So, generally speaking, this is already something we do try to be careful about.

And I would also say, sometimes people put too much weight on infractions. They sound really ominous (and the structure of the form-letter doesn't help!), but they're like parking tickets, or maybe speeding tickets if you prefer. They're not generally something to lose sleep over.